Pioneering Solutions in Fluorochemicals
Halocarbon Products is one of the world’s leading producers of specialty fluorochemicals. Halocarbon’s products include aliphatic fluorochemicals for pharmaceutical and agricultural chemical manufacturing, inhalation anesthetics for the human and veterinary markets, inert lubricants and other specialty products. Halocarbon is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, and its state-of-the-art manufacturing plant is in North Augusta, South Carolina, USA.
While Halocarbon started out in 1950 making inert lubricants based on polychlorotrifluoroethylene, our beginnings are traced to the 1940s, when founder Robert Ehrenfeld, a Cornell graduate and emerging fluorine chemist at the time, was part of the team that developed fluorine-based lubricants for the Manhattan Project during World War II. When the war ended, the government still needed a supplier of these important compounds, so, with help from some government grants, Ehrenfeld and a few colleagues started Halocarbon in a garage. Those inert lubricants are still manufactured today in addition to our other product lines.
A Company Built On Firsts
Halocarbon has earned its reputation as a pioneer in fluorochemistry with a series of “firsts”:
- First U.S. producer of operating-room safe fluorinated anesthetics
- World’s first large-scale producer of trifluoroacetic acid and trifluoroethanol, both widely used to make pharmaceutical and agricultural chemicals
- First U.S. company to produce generic halothane
- Production of the first commercial quantities of the CFC substitutes HFC-134a and HFC-32, which were developed as chlorofluorocarbon replacements in the 1990s
Complete Customer Satisfaction
Since its start, Halocarbon has satisfied demanding customers by:
- Consistently delivering high quality products at competitive prices, shipment after shipment.
- Providing superior customer service – big-company capabilities with small-company responsiveness.
- Partnering with our customers for mutual success. We’ve been a long-term sole source supplier to a number of pharmaceutical companies over the years.